The Missing Fountain!

The map below is taken from the Ordnance Survey of around 1850

Map of Grounds Part 1 Grounds of Gardens House Estate Office, Gun Room & Kitchen Areas of Main House Parlington House & Glazed Structures Second Fountain? Railway & Parlington Lane
Map of Grounds Part 7 Aviary & West Entrance Stables & Servants Quarters Fountain Footbridge, Railway & Parlington Lane Pond & Sump
Map of Grounds Part 13 Fish Pond Fish Pond & Parlington Lane Tunnel & Ha-Ha Tunnel & Ha-Ha Map of Grounds Part 18

The two artefact photographs are of pieces of the fountain which were found in the vicinity of the stables (Indicated by the black spot on the third frame of the middle row). The fountain itself was "Victorian Multi Tier", reconstituted stonework (Fourth Frame) located in line with the semi-circular bay (Dining Room). The photograph below shows that the lower bowl has a decorative fenestration which can be clearly identified on the artefact. The water level was designed to tipple over the edge of each bowl into a reservoir at the base and be re-circulated.

Lower bowl Edge


Base of upper bowl? With mortar marks from pedestal

It is thought that the water was supplied from a nearby stream which runs underground across the garden. This is the River Crow which surfaces lower down the valley and winds its way through the village of Aberford before entering the Cock Beck...famed for its part in the bloody battle at Towton Moor on Palm Sunday during the Wars of the Roses. The river is really only a stream and it's name "River Crow" makes it sound rather grand and perhaps suggests some link with North American Indians of that tribe. Significantly the stream has been culverted at some time centuries ago, literally from its source almost all the way to Aberford approximately a mile away.