Parlington Hall :: The Estate :: Gascoigne Estate Houses
The header image shows the cottage on a snowy morning, prominent is the stone garden boundary wall, which largely shields the property from casual view. To the left of the wall stood the dog kennels, which are shown below in a picture thought to be from around the 1920's.
The Gamekeeper's Cottage as seen from Parlington Lane, still enclosed by the stone wall. The chimneys  can be seen in the picture above with smoke issuing forth.
Cottage from Parlington Lane
There is a lake situated adjacent to the Gamekeepers Cottage on the south side of Parlington Lane, it is larger than the "Fish Pond" described here, like it's counterpart it is undoubtedly man made. The two lakes are detailed in blue on the plan, which is taken from the 1905 Ordnance Survey map, and the kennels are shown as the X shaped sructure at the back of the cottage.
Gamekeeper around 1910
The photograph above was taken outside Parlington Hall around 1910, the full picture is also featured in the family section/Servants, the Gamekeeper at that time was Alexander Hickmott.
The Gas Works
Although indicated on the plan as disused the site of the gas manufacturing plant is shown behind the boundary wall of the Gamekeeper's Cottage. This early gas works used coal from the Garforth Colliery. The production of gas used a technique of carbonization and partial pyrolysis of coal, whereby the coal was heated in the absence of oxygen, the resultant off gases being collected and stored for use at the nearby Hall, it may be that the presence of a supply of water would have greatly assisted the safety of the technique, but was not probably used as part of the production (Hydrous pyrolysis). The last sentence was written before the lake was dredged and during the clearing operations some of the filtration system became visible in the lake bed nearest the cottage.
The top picture shows the inlet pipe [bottom right] which brought water to the gas plant and below, although rotated for convenience, is a shot of the iron filter box, with the half round cut-out on the right end which sat over the entry pipe to prevent large particles from going down the pipeline. This picture was taken after the box had been removed to the edge of the lake and set aside during the dredging operations. Sadly someone stole it a few weeks later, presumably for scrap.
The inlet pipe, had a lead cap with small holes in it, as can be seen in the photograph below. The combination of the two screens would have allowed reasonably clear water to pass to the gas plant.
The gas works in Aberford, were superceded in the late nineteenth century by gas from Garforth, therefore as the supply line ran along Parlington Lane, as I believe it still does, this would have also rendered the gas plant at Parlington redundant, and the hall would have been supplied thereafter by the Garforth gas works.
The valuation made for probate purposes following the death of Col F. C. Trench-Gascoigne in June 1905 lists gas fittings in various locations around the hall, in particular in the Dining Room [Semi-circular bay fronted] were six bronze gas brackets and globes! The hall was never to benefit from the introduction of electricity.
Additional pictures of the lake dredging are available on my .mac account here
Extra Parlington Links
Sharing & Feeds
To increase space for the Navigation Buttons, the graphic "Parlington Hall" at the head of the page is a link which will return you to the Home page. Or click Home here.
Archived Recent Additions
The pictures with a grey-blue stripe down the left are from the earlier site.
Site Sections [Old Site]
The new site adds considerably to the content about Parlington, but until the whole site has been redesigned some sections may be unavailable on the new site, to overcome this problem, you can visit any of the old pages by clicking on the icon below to show the original site navigation.