Please Note (Update August 2008)

 The Site has been substantially redesigned with a lot of new content recently, if you entered from a search engine or bookmark to a particular page it's possible you have missed the new section, to visit it, please go to the Intro Page and navigate from there. If you wish to return to this old site there are links available in a menu on the right of the new pages, which when clicked will show the full listing.

The Estate Outlying Farms and Houses

Like all significant landed holdings, The Gascoignes from their Parlington seat, had a collection of land and property which, served various purposes in the day to day running of the estate. The land was either put to agriculture or beneath the surface to coal mining. The properties owned by the family could be split into the following categories: family houses, agricultural farms, management houses, estate and mining workers houses.

[Correction, details here stated two major sales, this was incorrect, my apologies, there were 4]

Much of the land and property held by the Gascoigne family was sold in a series of sales during the twentieth century; the first in May 1911, second in June 1938, third in October 1964 and a final sale in December 1973. The first sale in 1911 was for 14 lots, amongst them lot 14 described as follows: 'The famous and beautiful Boston Spa Baths and Saline Spring and Well Timbered Pleasure Grounds, together with boating and valuable extensive fishing rights in and upon the River Wharfe.' The second followed the death in 1937 of Col. F. R. T. T. Gascoigne, which was the largest of the sales. The 1964 sale saw the core properties including the Parlington Estate being sold off, probably in an effort to reduce death duties as Sir Alvary Gascoigne was aged around 71 at the time and the particulars of sale indicate that the lots to be auctioned were by direction of Mrs Y. Studd-Trench-Gascoigne, daughter and only living child of Sir Alvery Gascoigne. The final sale in December 1973 released all the remaining assets, Lotherton Hall and its contents having been bequethed to Leeds City Council by Sir Alvery Gascoigne in the late sixties.

The Sales particulars for 1938 & 1964

The 1938 and 1964 Sale brochures

The Farm Sales (1938)

The following farms were sold at auction on June 1st 1938: Church Farm, Saxton; Plough Farm, Saxton; Home Farm, Sherburn in Elmet; Hall Garth Farm, Sherburn in Elmet; Dairy Farm, Whinmoor; Scholes Park Farm, Lazencroft Farm, Shippen House Farm, Upper Barnbow Farm, Birdholme Farm, Garforth; Peckfield Farm, Sturton Grange Farm, Ridge Road Farm, Aberford; Church Farm, Garforth; in all amounting to 2437 Acres, plus various enclosures and fields. An example of the sale proceeds was the Dairy Farm at Whinmoor, 105.78 acres sold for £3,850 [£36.39 per acre]

The Farm Sales (1964)

The following farms were sold at auction on October 2nd 1964: Park House Farm, South Lodge Farm, Leyfield Farm, Home Farm, Manor Farm, Throstle Nest Farm, Swan (Mill) Farm, all in Aberford. amounting to some 1512 acres.

South Lodge Farm

South Lodge Farm around the 1960's

Interestingly, South Lodge Farm was sold in the early twenty first century and most of the farm outbuildings were removed to provide for a new housing development, which bears the name Beckside. So South Lodge has passed into history to be replaced by the rather bland title of Beckside. However the small stream which passes through the development is known as the Crow River, which originates up the valley at Parlington, not on Hookmoor as noted by others View details in a pop-up window. South Lodge was a working farm until the end of the 1980's and had been for a very long time. The farmhouse looks to be early Georgian in style, which would make it eighteenth century.

South Lodge Farm During Development

South Lodge Farm during development in 2004

View looking north towards the Methodist Church on the horizon, The former barns at the rear of The Farm House run from the rightr edge of the picture to the centre. The river crow is in the foreground beneath the roadway, with the bridge parapet on the left. (Excuse the photograph! I'll get another soon.)

Recent Finds at South Lodge Farm

In the summer of 2005 human remains were found in the rear garden of one of the properties, to the west of the barn, which remains are believed to be from the Roman period.

Also in recent years, whilst the barns and the more modern steel buildings on the site were still in use by the local farmer for storage and cattle shelter, a driver of a large articulated lorry delivering agri-chemicals to the farm for storage in the barns was found collapsed by the wall of an old open-ended garage-like structure where, having suffered a heart attack, he had sadly died. I recall it was in August of 1998.

Parlington Lane Cottage

Parlington Lane Cottage

A final note on South Lodge Farm. Given its name, where was the South Lodge? Is it possible that the small Georgian House on Parlington Lane, pictured above, which overlooks the lower part of the valley towards the former coal staithes and across to the Methodist chapel to the north, could be South Lodge, and the Aberford Lodge or Pike Lodge by the main northern entrance to the estate off Cattle Lane was the north lodge?

Hook Moor North Lodge

The estate entrance at Hook Moor, [on the former A1 and Great North Road], comprises two charming Georgian Lodges; they remain largely unchanged. The roadway which passes between the two lodges traverses the fields and passes behind the Almshouses before descending down the hill to the Light Arch, from there it curves round to the site of the Hall. This roadway was a main access to Parlington until the decline of the estate from the beginning of the twentieth century, indeed it was included in the lot in 1964 for the sale of the remains of the old hall.

Hook Moor South Lodge

Ass Bridge Lodge

Sitting on higher ground above the Barwick Road where it crosses the Cock Beck, this lodge derives its name from the bridge. Local rumor also has it that this area is haunted by a headless rider! The postcard below [a Parkinson & Roy Studios publication] is of the road very near Ass Bridge, as it rises up the hill towards Aberford. Sadly the beautiful tree-lined aspect is not as it was! Nor is the retaining embankment to the right as well kept as in those earlier times. Some of the estate boundary wrought iron railings are still to be found today.

Barwick Avenue form around the beginning of the twentieth century

Barwick Lodge

Barwick Lodge is around the corner from the above view, towards Aberford and is largely concealed by the high estate wall at this entrance. It is a very pleasing building, an irregular octagon on plan, single storey with lead rolls over the hips on the Westmoreland slate roof. A fine feature are the windows which have unusual diagonal glazing bars.

Wakefield Lodge

To be added soon.

Former Estate Office

Estate Office

The Estate Office featured in the December 1973 auction, the above picture is from the sale catalogue. It remains very similar today, situated on the old A1 (Great North Road) just north of Hicklam House, (Aberford Pine), it is now a private house.

Former Estate Office Today

Estate Office

Pike Lodge

Pike Lodge

Originally an old fishing lodge, later I believe used as the Eastate Office before the more recent premises on the A1, noted above, it is unusual featuring four circular chimney stacks one on each corner of the house. It also features a very good Gascoigne crest above the front entrance doorway, a pike's head over a coronet.

Pike Lodge crest of Gascoine Arms

The Lodge overlooks the Cock Beck which winds its way to the centre of Aberford.

 

There is a lot of information on this section which has still to be processed, so check back if you wish to discover more. For example in one of the farms belonging to the estate two of the sons left, never to return from the Great War! Their names can be found on the war memorial opposite the Almshouses.

Parlington Hall in the late Nineteenth century. Taken from a photograph provided
by the Garforth Historical Society.