Around Aberford :: Aberford Market Cross
Adjacent to the south west entrance to St Ricarius Churchyard in Aberford is the Market Cross. History has it that the cross was removed in 1644, during the outbreak of Plague [Black Death] to Lotherton, where it remained, although only the base stones were still extant at the turn of the twentieth century. It was returned to Aberford and reinstated with two new sub-bases, column and ornamental head in 1912. A ceremony on its reinstatement was held on Saturday 15th June 1912, where Mrs Gascoigne [Wife of Col F. R. Trench-Gascoigne] unveiled the monument, a brass plate is inscribed,
This Market Cross, removed in the Plague, was restored to commemorate the Coronation of King George V 1911
Aberford Market Cross
The cross from an early twentieth century postcard, not many years after it was reinstated. Only the third stone, directly beneath the column is from the original, all the other stonework was newly crafted.