Parlington Hall :: The Nineteenth Century
A photograph of The Hall taken from the gardens to the south, thought to date from around 1880. On the right (East) can be seen the conservatory and to the left behind the evergreens is the West Wing which remains to this day.
The Gascoigne Family with its seat at Parlington Hall was a major part of local history from the 16th Century onwards. The Gascoigne bloodline ended with the death in 1810 of Sir Thomas Gascoigne 8th Baronet, reputedly of a broken heart following the untimely death of his only son Tom the previous year in a horse riding accident whilst hunting near Retford.
After the death of Sir Thomas Gascoigne, the Estate was inherited with a lifetime interest by Richard Oliver, he was the husband of Sir Thomas's step daughter, Mary Turner; [See Gascoigne Section] Richard Oliver was required to take on the Gascoigne name as a condition of the inheritance and so became Richard Oliver Gascoigne. He was to develop the local landed assets to great advantage and on his death in 1843 left to his surviving daughters a considerable estate, with major coal workings being the backbone of the family wealth.
Photograph of Parlington around 1860
The above picture is from a collection of Stereo Images, which can be viewed [here]. The photographs are the oldest that have so far been discovered, this particular view is the nearest to how the Hall would have looked at the early part of the nineteenth century, only the Conservatory in the foreground is thought to be added later, perhaps in the 1850's. The block in the centre of the picture is the Drawing Room, according to notes by Rev F.S. Colman suggest that the wing was built about 1800 from the materials of a demolished portion of Church House, Sir Charles Turner's house at Aberford.
Church House Circa 1910
Additionally the Drawing Room [Outlined in Purple on the plan below] may have been undertaken after the abandonment of a proposed new mansion that Sir Thomas had contemplated. He had gone to some considerable expense in his preparations for the project, including various architects proposals drawn up for him He also commenced quarrying to obtain stone from localations on his estate, all of which it is believed was later used for the construction of the Triumphal Arch. Recent excavations at the rear of the location of the Drawing Room, have uncovered a wall [Outlined in red on the plan below], which, given that it is stone faced, would have been an external wall before being enclosed and forming a corridor to the newer construction of the Drawing Room. The section outlined in blue is the perimeter of the block constructed in the 1730's by Sir Edward Gascoigne, forming a natural boundary to the building which pre-dated it.
Alterations around 1800
Extra Parlington Links
Sharing & Feeds
To increase space for the Navigation Buttons, the graphic "Parlington Hall" at the head of the page is a link which will return you to the Home page. Or click Home here.
Archived Recent Additions
Within the main column are occasional references marked like this  which link to this notes column, to return to the point in the body copy click on the [Back] link.
 Sir Thomas Gascoigne married Mary Turner in November 1784, she was the widow of Sir Charles Turner of Kirkleatham, it is probable that she inherited the Church House property pictured following the death of her first husband Sir Charles Turner, thus the house would have passed to the Gascoigne family.
[ Back ]
 The Plans drawn up for Sir Thomas Gascoigne are held in the West Yorkshire Archives in Sheepscar, Leeds. They comprise a series of elevations in the classical style, sadly feasibility sketches of the time were drawn as if the ground that the structure sat on was level. Therefore they do not give any clues as to the whereabouts of the proposed building.
[ Back ]
Site Sections [Old Site]
The new site adds considerably to the content about Parlington, but until the whole site has been redesigned some sections may be unavailable on the new site, to overcome this problem, you can visit any of the old pages by clicking on the icon below to show the original site navigation.