Once one of the great English country houses was dramatically gutted by fire in 1937. Following the fire, as a result of insufficient insurance cover, it was left a ruin and offered for sale by the then owner Sir Herbert Smith. It has remained a spectacular ruin ever since. Although in more recent times under the stewardship of English Heritage, the gardens and in particular the Persius and Andromeda fountain in the south parterre has been restored to its former glory.
The fountain is worth the entrance fee alone, it's a great piece of victorian splendour, and when it comes to life the water show is spectacular, during the heyday of the hall, in Victorian times, the fountain played twice a week, the jets sending spray some 36m (120ft) into the air.