Parlington Hall :: Newspaper Articles, with references to

Skyrack Courier Clippings

Parlington a Military Training Ground!

1916 and our intrepid troops are at it again, this is the last reference I have come across to military manoeuvres, but it suggests that Parlington was used on a regular basis for over half a century, from 1863 to 1916. Until I uncovered these events the importance of the location to the army had been lost in the mists of time!

Skyrack Courier, April 28th 1916

Sham Fight [Summary in the paper]

The D Company of the 12th Battalion W.R.V. had a very successful and instructive field day on Easter Monday in Parlington Park. About 140 officers and men paraded at 10:00am at the Aberford Platoon Headquarters. The company was under the command of Mr H. Bromet, and Mr T. H. Prater was second in command. The company was composed of platoons from Aberford (Under Mr. Child) Tadcaster (Under Mr. Eade), Wetherby (Under Mr. Smithson), and Boston Spa (Under Mr. Turran). The programme for the day was the defence of a broken down convoy on Hook Moor against the attack of the 11th and 12th Battalions, who were to capture the convoy before reinforcements arrived by a certain time. The strategical defence, however, prevented this being accomplished, and great credit was due to the officers and men of D Company. One of the most successful issues of the day was credited to No2 picket, under Mr. T. H. Prater, who captured a patrol of twelve men and cut up the left flank of the opposing force before cease fire sounded. D Company were highly complimented by Captain Preston on the good work they had rendered throughout the day. After the manoeuvres the company was entertained to tea at Parlington Hall.

[Main Article]

Volunteers at Barwick and Aberford. Field Operations in the District.
On [Easter] Monday at Parlington Park, Aberford, by the kind permission of Colonel Gascoigne, and with the co-operation of Mr. T. Herbert Prater, estate agent, who is the commandent of the Aberford Platoon, between 300 and 400 of the Leeds Volunteers had a very useful time in field operations.

The 12th Battalion and part of the 11th Battalion went by train to Scholes in the morning, and marched to Barwick, where they were joined by the remainder of the 11th Battalion, who had encamped at Potterton on Saturday night, and during the afternoon a military scheme was carried out illustrating the attack and defence of a convoy which was supposed to be broken down at Hook Moor End, D Company of the 12th under Captain Preston, being the defending force, and the main body, under Commander Mitchell, the attacking forces.

The contingent which managed to devote the whole of the weekend to the outing comprised about 80 members under Platoon-Commander E. McMinn and though they experienced two chilly nights, they appeared to enjoy the expedition greatly.

At potterton they were billeted in outbuildings at the Hall, by the courtesy of Mr H. S. Childe, after first receiving instruction in guard mounting. An early Church parade in Barwick, followed by camp routine and discipline, occupied Sunday morning, and in the afternoon there was a march across country to Parlington. Mr. Childe accompanying the detachment part of the way, and imparting some interesting information respecting the Roman remains and other historical features in the vicinity.

The night was spent at Parlington Hall, and the next morning forces from Leeds were met at Barwick in readiness for the day's encounter.

From Barwick the attacking forces numbering 240 men, advanced as far as Ass Bridge and sent out by way of Throstle Nest three patrols, which dropped standing patrols for purposes of observation, and then returned to report, in view of a frontal attack supported on both flanks. Meanwhile the defenders, to the number of 120, had time to put up a very gallant fight, and if the maouvre had been persued to the bitter end, it is possible they might have saved the convoy and got away. The time allowed for the operations however did not admit a definite conclusion. All the same, it was a useful three hours' instruction, and the weather's dull outlook in no sense damped the spirits of the men.

Later in the afternoon they partook of a substantial meal at Parlington Hall, and during the evening marched to Garforth Station and entrained for Leeds. The other officers besides those mentioned, were Company Commanders Henry Bromet and T. K. Wilson, and Adjutants Rush and Smithson.

Extra Parlington Links

Sharing & Feeds





Blog Directory for Leeds, West Yorkshire



Bookmark and Share




Share on Facebook


Note

To increase space for the Navigation Buttons, the graphic "Parlington Hall" at the head of the page is a link which will return you to the Home page. Or click Home here.

Recent Additions


Archived Recent Additions

Notes

Comments

Pictures from earlier versions of the site are denoted by the left border effect.

References

Site Sections [Old Site]

The new site adds considerably to the content about Parlington, but until the whole site has been redesigned some sections may be unavailable on the new site, to overcome this problem, you can visit any of the old pages by clicking on the icon below to show the original site navigation.


Related External Links